ASUS C101 Flip Chromebook Review

For those of you looking for a Chromebook, there are many great models to choose from. However I want to remind you that a chrome book is a glorified Internet browser, NOT a fully functional PC. So it has its limitations. Luckily for you (and for me, a long time chromebook user), Google got smart and finally made the Google Play store available on chromebook. Now that doesn’t mean you’re going to be able to begin downloading all the apps on Google Play. Not every application is optimized or even compatible with a system like Chrome. However you will get a large selection of games and productivity apps to choose from. Since not all chromebooks are able to get the Google Play update, you have to ask yourself.. Which chromebook do I choose. 

Well first the good news, buying your chromebook new from a reputable store will ensure that you have the Play Store pre-installed on any chromebook made and distributed beginning 2018, or so I’ve heard. The bad news is, if you for some reason want a pre-2018 chromebook, you need to do some research online to make sure your chosen model can get the Play Store update. 

For years I have been using an Acer C720, mainly because of its petite size, making it easily portable. Unfortunately this is one of the models that WILL NOT support the Play Store Update. So after some online research and a few tears over retiring a great travel companion, I decided to purchase a new Chromebook, the ASUS C101. 

I choose the ASUS C101 for 3 reasons;

1) Apps: accessibility to the Google Play Store was a BIG selling point for me.

2) Size: at less than 2lbs its even lighter and slimmer than my old Acer C720. It even sports a brushed aluminum case that is more durable than the plastic case most Chromebooks use

3) The Power Adapter: I travel with my Chromebook, so even saving a little weight or space with a more compact power plug is a big deal to me. 

Now if you go with this chromebook or any chromebook for that matter, keep this mind. After you turn it on, set up WiFi and log in, the moment you open the browser… an update will begin. For NEW chromebook users, don’t panic, this is nowhere near the crazy size updates that Windows customers have to deal with every month. In fact depending on your Internet speed, a typical Chrome update will take only 5 - 10 minutes. So despite your urge to jump right onto the information highway, wait til your first update completes and asks you to restart the chromebook. Now after restarting there is one more thing to do before checking out your favorite website, Play store might need to update as well. So check for a ‘download’ icon on your system tray, the area on the bottom right of your screen. It’ll be right next to the notification icon, if nothing is downloading… then you’re good to go. 

Now the best way to understand what you can and can’t do with a chromebook is to EXPLORE. Go to the Play Store and download a few things, surf the web, etc. Unlike a PC, there’s really not much you can do to kill a chromebook. You don’t have access to the CORE system like on a PC, and the things you can alter should only be done by experienced users, programmers and developers.

For 90% of the chromebook users out there, we don’t need to access the CORE system anyways, as long as we continue to update (which is done automatically in the background) and we steer clear of risky behavior such as high risk sites or pressing unknown links. Though a computer virus is nearly impossible to get, you are still vulnerable to malware and ransom ware, yet most of those can be done away with by checking and deleting the malware program from the extensions tab. Or just turning off and restarting your chromebook. If you really do get something horrible or have a persistent ‘something’ that you just can’t fix, POWERWASH will 99% of the time get you back to that factory fresh feeling.

Now back to the ASUS C101, and a few thoughts about it. 

Size: this Chromebook is small, and that can be a double edged sword for some. Its petite size and slim case make it the perfect companion for traveling or school. Yet if you have large hands or have only used a full size laptop keyboard, it may take you awhile to get comfortable with the more compact design. Though it’s only slightly smaller than my ACER C720 keyboard, I can feel the difference.

Storage: I found a lot of complaints and concerns about the storage size on this chromebook. Mainly referring to the 16gb storage not being large enough. In the few weeks that I’ve owned this, I haven’t found that to be too large of an issue. I’ve downloaded several large apps even one that was 3gb, and I still have a decent amount of space left. But if you plan on downloading dozens of apps, just be aware that you may have to delete a few to make space for new ones. I would also recommend putting in a micro SD card to expand your storage size. This does nothing for apps, but will allow you to save your photos, documents and other none play store files.

Micro SD slot: The ASUS C101 has a micro SD slot for storage expansion, unfortunately when you download an app from the Play Store, you can’t move the app to the SD card. Now there is a reason for that, like the CORE chrome system, the Play Store is an isolated program. Meaning that you have no real access to it other than downloading or deleting your apps. I can’t emphasize this enough… this was done for YOUR PROTECTION. Apps you download run in an isolated environment so IF they have a nasty little bug in them, it doesn’t affect you… because its already in a ‘cage’. So although 16gb (more like 13gb due to OS size) isn’t a lot, it will likely be plenty, after the initial novelty of downloading apps wears off. As most of us have a few favorite games or productivity apps, and the rest is just temporary stuff when we see or hear about a new available apps

Tablet and Tent Mode: This wasn’t really a factor in my choice of chromebooks, yet it is a nice addition. In tent mode you can easily set your chromebook on a table or counter and watch your favorite movie. Though I can live with or without watching movies in tent mode, it does allow for the chromebook to take up less space. Making it especially useful on planes and buses that have small fold out tray tables. Tablet mode on the other hand would be much more useful to me if ASUS had done one thing. Include some kind of hard cover to place over the keyboard. While in tablet mode, you get all the feel and convenience of a nice sized tablet computer. Problem is that the keyboard being exposed on the back, doesn’t feel ‘right’. People who are used to this type of 3 in 1 computer won’t care about this. But when you’ve never had one before, its difficult to hold this in tablet mode without feeling as if you’re breaking something, even though your not. Had a cheap hard cover been included, just so you wouldn’t have to touch the keyboard buttons, I’d feel a lot better about this mode.

Touch Screen: I’m not happy with the touch screen. I don’t know anything about the glass or plastic that is used in touch screens but this one has done nothing but frustrate me. Its fast and responsive and If you just need to press something, works great. The problem arises when you need to drag something across the screen. I find that as I’m dragging my finger across, it ‘sticks’. I don’t know if that’s the right word, but there is definitely more drag on my finger than when I use my iPhone or ipod touch screen. Imagine the difference between ice skating (iPhone touch screen) and roller skating (ASUS C101 touch screen), with the C101 you seem to get more resistance, which causes me to drop what ever I’m dragging… frustrating! Too be fair to ASUS,  part of the problem is the amount of pressure I apply to the touch screen. I tend to use a light touch, but still…. Fix the touch screen. 

Battery Life: Although the specs say 9 hours, count on 7-8 depending on usage. I actually squeezed 10 hours out of this once, but most days that I was unplugged where closer to 8-8.5, keeping in mind its brand new and battery life will always deteriorate as the battery gets older.

Case: How boring is the basic plastic case you see on every laptop and chromebook out there, blahhh. To add individuality we usually apply a sticker or two on the cover. But the ASUS C101 is different, not unique, but different in that it sports a brushed aluminum case. Not the first to do this, its predecessor also had an aluminum case, it does make this economical chromebook look ‘high end’, and it has an added effect, possibly. At room temperature, metal stays cooler than plastic. Does this aluminum case help keep the chromebook cooler than if it had been jammed into a plastic case. I’m no technician so, I can’t say if it does or doesn’t. I can only say that in a side by side unofficial and not at all scientific test, my plastic cased C720 got warmer than the aluminum cased C101 while streaming YouTube for 3 hours. Not that either got warm enough to even care, but I’m just asking.. was the aluminum case meant for more than just a stylish appearance?

For the most part, I’m very happy with this purchase at $249 from Best Buy. As with all things, nothing is perfect but this comes close as far as what I use a chromebook for. I’m sure I’ll think of a few other things and will update this as I do, however if you are planning on purchasing this or ANY chromebook, please do your research first. Chromebooks can do a lot and even more now that Google Play Store Apps can now be downloaded, but they are not PC’s and you won’t be downloading Warcraft or Star Trek Online on them. 

2 comments:

  1. The review uses the term "memory" improperly. "Storage" is the recognizable term for non-volatile memory (NVM). "Memory" is the recognizable term for RAM. And Cloud storage (Google drive) is the most reliable storage option for someone who uses a strongly Web-based device like a Chromebook. Otherwise, the review was spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing out my error in using the terms improperly. I’ll go over the post and make the appropriate changes now

      Delete

I welcome all comments. Comments are moderated and may take several days to be posted

I have only 2 rules:

1) DO NOT post links to other sites without permission from me. (any post made with an unauthorized link will not be published)

2) NO RUDE/FOUL comments. Your opinion is welcome, but I will not allow offensive or insulting comments towards my opinions or other visitors opinions